Of Cabbages and Kings

On a crusade to find myself

Monday, August 07, 2006

"Feel Good" Expenses


Sometimes we buy things just because they make you “feel good”
For me .. I buy gadgets without actually needing them.. And then, tend to get so dependent on them that I rationalize my decision to have been correct when I bought them.
A good example is my new cell phone. The Nokia N80. It’s a ccol gadget. Its 3G, has a 3 megapixle camera, supports MS office etc. But frankly, who needs all that. I have never used any (read as most) of that.
Just yesterday I ordered a 19 inch LCD for my computer at home and upgraded my speaker systems to a 5.1 surround system (with a sub woofer) for my home PC.. Just to make me feel good while playing games (I love playing PC games).. Not really required.. but had a “feel good” feeling to it.
The list goes on..My cars, my PS2, my black berry.. etcI have always been a gadget freak.. And spend a good amount of “unnecessary” green stuff just to “feel good”.
Every one has a different soft corner.. I think with girls it could be jewellery, dresses and shoes !!
With boys could be clothes, cars, gadgets..
What’s your “feel good” expense…??

PS – the picture is not my computer – That is one of the most expensive laptops in the world.. Its called the Tulip – worth US$ 355,000

16 Comments:

Blogger Keshi said...

u know what Parag...I was just thinking abt this 'feel good' stuff and u had to go and write abt it :):) GREAT post!

** Not really required.. but had a “feel good” feeling to it.

Exactly! I always tell this to my mum when I buy new stuff (eg:my latest Nokia babe) and then she says na Im wasting money :(

But I do 'feel' good when I buy some of these new techi stuff and also whenever I buy a new CD or new clothes, even new ear-rings. It just feels great. And I value that feeling.

Just last nite my sis scoffed at me abt my new mobile and wud u believe it I cried...

Keshi.

12:45 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

and abt married men giving me rings, he was only teasing me...and I refused anyways :)

Keshi.

12:46 AM  
Blogger Parag said...

Keshi - Feel good is more of a concept with girls rather than boys.. I think shopping is more of a stress reliever for the fairer sex

12:57 AM  
Blogger Ekta said...

oh wow!
I too spent the weekend seeing laptops coz some of my hubbys' cousins wanted to buy them!
And i agree men are obsessed with gadgets...hubby dear is so like u!

3:03 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

yeah and I like shopping like crazy :)

Keshi.

6:53 PM  
Blogger seattle_smoke said...

the latest feel good stuff i bought was my Granada guitar..but i strum it for atleast an hour a day... so no rationalisation there, i guess!!!

1:38 AM  
Blogger Parag said...

Ekta - Most men are alike..You should see a program called "men maange more" on Star one..

Keshi - good girl .. shopping helps the economy.. keep consuming

Seattle - Guitar !! Wow.. I wish I was talented.. I cannot even sing a song in tune !!

2:09 AM  
Blogger seattle_smoke said...

I actually wanted to buy a new electric guitar( my dream!) that comes for around 25k. But for that,
a) I need to buy a new house
or
b) I need to buy a new family..
As such all of them are suffering from GAS (Guitar Allergy Syndrome!!)
So I settled for this accoustic guitar for 5k.
While personally I hate shopping, quite addicted to blogging, quitar and movies..my "FEEL GOOD ACTIVITIES"

4:08 AM  
Blogger Parag said...

I am sure you will be able to buy a guitar soon.. It must be such a break from this rat race to sit and play your guitar
Have you taken formal training ?

4:21 AM  
Blogger seattle_smoke said...

*formal training?
Look at me , I am kurt cobain (redux). Do I need formal training???lolz

6:37 AM  
Blogger mtalpz said...

Buying glares of all shapes and colors gives me a "feel good" feeling..also trying out different cuisines is something i like to do...although the purpose is only to overcome hunger!
not too much of a gadget freak i am...but knew abt you since the time i had seen your first SONY digital camera!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Parag said...

Seattle --> maybe you should record a sound file of your eploits on the guitar and add it to your blog.. What say ?

Mtalpz --> I like food too.. and it kind of shows despite all the gyming !! My favourite cusines (apart from ghar ka khanna) are lebanese, thai, italian and japanese.

10:32 AM  
Blogger seattle_smoke said...

Parag: About thai food, u shoud read my tryst(1st & last) with thai food in my April'06 archive!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After thatIm happy with a modest Indian platter.

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Parag

That Tulip laptop was awesome but on seeing the price it made me count stars.A masterpiece piece worth keeping in a technology museum.

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! »

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... »

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home