Of Cabbages and Kings

On a crusade to find myself

Friday, July 14, 2006

Being Creative v/s Being Perfect

I have always been a perfectionist and dear ones and friends get upset with me for being one..I get upset if someone leaves the door ajar, if the toothpaste cap is not screwed on correctly, if someone is wearing torn socks, or their laces have come off..
Not that these things matter to me or hurt me.. Just that they irritate me.. Irritate me to the extent that I tend to tell the person (even if I do not know him / her).. “Please tie your laces” etc.
I read somewhere that people who are creative are not perfectionists.. But is the other way true too? By being a person who likes being perfect.. Do I not have even a little bit of creativity in me?
Frankly, I am not perfect too... But like to be perfect and strive to be..Just yesterday, I had given a job to my colleague who missed doing it.. and came back saying “Oops.. I did all of it.. But forgot this small bit”.. And I lashed back very caustically to him..”The difference between being perfect and mediocrity are these small bits”… I think I was harsh on him.. But that is me.. I really get irritated with small / silly mistakes.. I guess I need to cool down a little..

3 Comments:

Blogger seattle_smoke said...

Problem with being a *perfectionist* is that it's too imposing on others, who actually feel the brunt. I am a perfectionist when it comes to "time", i.e ,a punctualist, u may call. In Mumbai, it may bean utopian ask for expecting peepl to bedot on time!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Fanaah said...

Even perfection is relative. To a creative artist it comes in the highest form of abstract, to a poet when the poetry doesnt rhyme.

I guess in a job environment as yours it is necessary to be cautious, but your way may not necessary be the best way. It is good to practise flexibility.

When I am free to do as I wish without being judged thats "perfect" :)

12:07 AM  
Blogger mtalpz said...

Just helps to keep in mind not everyone is perfect..not everyone is you.
As long as you maintain that balance, you can be happy being a perfectionist and do whatever you like doing in a perfect manner...leave the rest to others :), try not to influence your perfectionist nature on others(whom you mentioned you dont know).
Its tough but try it sometimes.

PS: To me you are best the way u are..Perfect perfectionist,with a lot of creativity...

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home