Of Cabbages and Kings

On a crusade to find myself

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Celebrations or Hindrance

I met a new dietitian (and my experiments with various diets would warrant a separate blog) who asked me to get a few blood tests done before she could prescribe a diet for me.
So off I was on Sunday morning to Hinduja hospital. As I left my house, I realized that today was the day of the Mumbai marathon and the whole city was on the roads. Most of the roads were blocked and I took a good hour to reach the hospital, which was 5 minutes away. I should have run along with the athletes.. That would have been faster.
On the way back after the tests, I could not reach home.. Had to park my car around a km away and walk back.
I saw hoards of people on the roads .. Some cheering but most of them shouting and screaming at the police who were not allowing even pedestrians on the roads.
There was a man who kept screaming that he had to reach some hospital and another trying to cross the road with his small kids.

The question I ask is should we have such events in the heart of a metropolis.. and cause traffic panic ? What if there was a fire, what if someone was dying of a heart attack.

This happens during every festival or celebration. Whether its Ganesh emersion, or the Urs at the Mahim Darga or Mount Mary fair at Bandra or the Marathon.

Should one’s celebration be a hindrance to others at large ?

4 Comments:

Blogger Fanaah said...

That is sad indeed (man who kept screaming that he had to reach some hospital)-but the police usually does make alternative traffic arrangements. Well I guess heart of the city cause that is the only place which has decent roads :P Ironically theyre all running for a 'cause'.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Ekta said...

good point parag!
But this has always been the pain of the city...unreasonableness in everything thx to the whims of the politicians!

3:51 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

sad situation! Why cant the authorities THINK for a change and DO something abt it?

keshi.

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very, very true. Why have we not lost our passion to hang our emotions on our sleeves, so that every one can see them. A big political rally is supposed to be an indicator of the leader's popularity, a big religious procession is the thermometer that shows our devoutness, a marriage procession with a huge crowd, with loud crackers, & people dancing absurdly on the road is an indicator of our immense love towards the groom. So much so that we have to pay our last tributes to the dead by joining in a huge procession to the crematorium. Leave alone, the departed souls, the entire family had to accompany to the station, a . member of the family going for a small vacation(fortunately, this particular feature is on the decrease}. Since we have to SHOW our feelings we will continue to be this way perhaps?

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home