Of Cabbages and Kings

On a crusade to find myself

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Life Insurance...or "post" life insurance

I have been toying with the thought .. "should I have a large insurance on myself".. I felt I was under-insured..
The minute I spread the word, I had 50 insurance agents from various companies hounding me..
I thought to myself.. Life Insurance is such a paradox..
By taking a policy, you are not “insuring” your life. The policy comes into play only after you life has gone away.
Why do we insure? Most people insure so that their family and kins who are left behind have a good life. My question is .. After you are dead, the “family” is no longer your family..(all relationships being valid only while you are alive).. Then why insure ?
The only reason one should insure is for disability..
Even if you think otherwise and feel insurance is important.. Then the counter I have is .. is it not better to leave investments for your family that will earn long term returns ? A mix of risk and risk-free investments ?
My debate continues..... your thoughts are welcome...

4 Comments:

Blogger Fanaah said...

You have children, who you are responsible for and they are dependant on you. God forbid something happens to you-I dont think you could bear the thought that your son cannot live the same lifestyle that he is enjoying now. I know, your heart would break if your daughter had to think twice before buying a toy or eating something rich.
And even if you were not to be a part of this world anymore-you would do a lot to ensure that your children never face the hardships you did.

Also your relationship ends when you end- you will stop being a son, brother, husband, father...but i dont think the love ends.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Ess said...

nice concept....and def. worth giving a thot. btw, if u dont know me, I am alpina's friend and came to your blog thru a link on hers.

4:23 AM  
Blogger mtalpz said...

when you say all relationships valid only when you are alive..that is from your point. After your death you might not be the father or the son or the husband ..true..but your wife will still be known to be your wife, and your kids will be known as your kids..and you would wish they have the best of both worlds..So how about a moderate/small "post life" insurane for their immediate needs and investmests too which will benefit in the logn run???

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The philosophy that you propound seems to advocate no responsibility to anyone but yourself (taken to a logical conclusion). So more or less a moksha stage in life, wherein you are divorced from worries as well as responsibility.

The concept you are talking about rhymes well with the last stage of life according to our mythology (75-100 years age) - sanyas. By then it makes sense for you not to be involved, since your children are grown up and earning for themselves.

However, you are currently in the grahasthya stage of life, wherein you have a responsibility as a householder to care to the best of your knowledge and ability for your family. One of the things that you need to ensure is that your passing away does not damage thier chance to do something with thier life.

On a less serious note, I haven't taken any insurance yet, either. But that is more a function of my laziness, rather than anything else.

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home